Monday, November 19, 2007

Don't Blink

Disclaimer: This piece of literature was written, inspired by the book Annie John by Jamaica Kincaid. I mean to offend no one, and I really do hope no one will get offended. Honestly, I am desperate. I owe my blog mates and my English teacher about 4 blog entries, not including this one.
Hey Miss Jess, I've never written a fictional story as a blog entry before, so don't kill me for this one.
          

The picture in the catalogue had lied. This could not be Ivanka.
          So we’ve been away from each other for three pathetic years and now here she is, looking at me with her sultry smile.
          On paper.
          On paper and all over the pavement; stepped on, spat on, rained on. It’s Ivanka, alright, and suddenly my stomach churned at a thought. I will marry her.
***

          ”Why do you need my black Amex, Sam?”
          ”Because I can’t afford her,” I confessed.
          ”Isn’t she supposed to be in Antarctica or something?” he lit a cigarette. “She must be freezing in clothes like that.”
          He laughed. I couldn’t, and I didn’t even bother correcting. The smoke from his menthol stick irritated me. I looked at Darrel in the eye, begging him with a stare. He knew.
          ”Just give it back to me before Christmas. Ya’ know I gotta do some shopping.”
          ”I’ll marry her by then, Bro’.”
          I left his duplex and whistled for a yellow cab. It’s the only cab I trust around here. In a neighborhood like this, not much can be trusted. Sometimes I wonder why a rich man like him even picked this area in the first place.
          I closed the door and texted my employer for my night shift.
          ”The Waldorf-Astoria,” I instructed.
          And the engine continued roaring.
***

          I started planning on the purchase the moment my shift was over. Should I go pay for it on-line or should I just march in there right now? The process would take forever and it’s way too cold to walk this late.
          I stretched my tired legs.
          I thought of Darrell and of how lucky I am to have a brother like him.
          And of how after three messy years, I am finally going to have my dream come true.
Mom would be extremely disappointed and dad would turn fast and furious, but she is my dream and I will do just anything to have her with me. I cried myself to sleep that night and hated myself for being so sensitive.

          I skimmed through the catalogue, hoping for a miracle. A discount. A coupon. Anything. Because when this card hits the machine, I would begin my life-long loyal service to D. But Ivanka’s worth it. She’s worth every penny.
***

          I braced myself for what I was about to do. I knocked on the door and waited. And waited. And waited.
          The door’s creaking sound made me cringe. And there she was, beautiful as ever.
          “Will you marry me?” I rushed.
          “You know I can’t.”
          ”But I love you.”
          ”But my husband’s job is very demanding. I’m moving to LA soon, Sam,” she explained.           “You know we can’t be together.”
          ”How much? I’ll pay however much you want me to.”
          ”I’m no longer for sale.”
          And then I just went right up and kissed her. Strangely, Mom came into my mind. She would die if she finds out. It’s not that Ivanka’s married, it’s not that she is Russian; it’s not even the fact that she was once a prostitute. It’s that my mom’s a Christian.
          And Ivanka’s a woman.
          And I’m a woman.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home