Saturday, February 16, 2008

I'm thirsty

I don’t know why. I don’t know how. But somehow fate manages to do it. It manages to dry this world of happiness. It manages to flood us with tears. It manages to make our parched souls hike around in an arid air of unrealized misery.

No. Shut up. Sorry. Misery’s not the word to describe it. Unfulfillment is.

There is something terribly wrong with life. It’s the fact that we are all thirsty and no matter how much water we drink, we remain insatiable. I’m not just talking about the literal H2O water – I’m talking about every single thing we are determined to get, only to find ourselves wanting more and having to work even harder once we actually do get it.

A year ago, while my new house was being constructed, I would think to myself how great my life would become upon its completion – how I can be finally proud and happy to live in a comfortable place. Fast forward a couple months. I’m all settled here, and it’s as usual to me as the old crypt I used to live in was. Now downgrading to the place I was fine growing up in would seem like an earthly hell, and I still find myself envying others for their ‘superior’ properties.

It’s not just that. A year and a half ago I told myself that I’d be satisfied with my academic life once I got the scores superior to a fellow colleague we like to call ‘sway.’ Ever since I did, I have only since found myself proven wrong again, as I still find myself in frustration and envy of that other girl’s one extra IB score, while stressing over how I am supposed to sustain my already high grades for the next terms.

I can only tell myself that I am already very privileged – that millions out there don’t even have the hope of getting into college; that people live under bridges – but that reassurance means nothing to me. I keep wanting more and more. I suppose it’s the same for everyone else - wealthy celebrities who have everything but are no less miserable than we are; popular jocks who secretly wish they were geeks.

You see, life is cancerously self-destructive. You are constantly told to put in insurmountable amounts of effort and determination into being somebody, blind-sighted and completely oblivious of this fatal flaw of human nature. For people like me – those caught up in this vile vortex of determination and thirst - the more you put into it, the harder it becomes, because you can’t ever give up, and you put in more and more of your energy into life until you eventually die an exhausted death. Success isn’t hard to find. There's a goldmine of it right next door. But no matter how deep you dig, you’d have to have all odds going for you to find a single drop of contentment.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At February 16, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Blogger Karina said…

    A response to the question I constantly ask you, yes?

    "Why are you never content, Gar?!"

    I don't know what else to say, but "Be Content."

    The grass is not always greener on the other side. :)

     
  • At February 21, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This post (to my understanding) is coming down to: 'after I have reached my goal, I always set an even more ambitious goal'.

    But that's great, isn't it? Nothing to worry about. Quite the contrary. It's a very healthy attitude: let's keep on moving.

    You need not reach for the stars, but you ( to me) seem to have this permanent drive to avoid complacency. It's the opposite of misery: it's a dynamic life.

    Nothing wrong with that.

     
  • At March 11, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    gila gar loe aja ngiri apa lg gw ahahahaha goddamn unappreciative person

     
  • At November 14, 2008 at 2:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?
    Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare."
    Isa 55, cf Jn 4:13-14, 7:37-38.

    Fix your eyes on living for Christ, doing everything as for him only. Then you'll be surprised by how content you'll be, and how thankful you are at His numerous blessings.
    As it is, you think that you reach all those things due to your efforts, while it is DESPITE your efforts that you reach them, because God had mercy on you (cf Ps 127:1-2). When you live for him, everything will become effortless; why is this difficult? Because we have to relinquish control of our self and give the control to Him. We may feel weak, stupid and vulnerable in the beginning (the Devil will attack us with all sorts of fears and negativity, he does NOT want us to get there!), but once we get used to it, it's joy and peace on earth, whatever happens (Jn 14:27, Isa 26:3, Mt 11:25-30).
    Meditate on this, the Lord will give you insight.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home