Friday, September 28, 2007

From Monks to China, a relfection on my ever swinging cultural crisis

Monks versus the Myanmar Military Junta

A reflection of my ever swerving condemnation…

I hate China.

In a post relating to the monks versus the military Junta of Myanmar, you would probably not expect that I, a Chinese adolescent girl firstly condemn China.

Well I must assure you, I myself am not quite sure of where that hatred spawned from or how long it will last, but I implore you to stay with my jumbled train of thoughts.

It all started this afternoon, I had nothing to do and well, was somewhat leisurely skimming the New York Times (albeit the fact that I do have homework). Noting an article by SETH MYDANS (se article at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/world/asia/27myanmar.html?em&ex=1191038400&en=44b7d786792f3376&ei=5087%0A)

I recalled some rather vague facts about the protests. My initial reaction was somewhat mild, I was amused. I, Stephanie Andini Tangkilisan was amused by this news.

Instead of being, ‘awwhh, that’s too bad, poor monks! Go monks!’ I was more like, ‘Hah! Those moronic junta’s can’t act brutally against those monks’, and started to think of circumstances and in a way was sort of naïve to think that the protesters being predominantly monks could stop a dictatorship eventually.

I was optimistic, I for once was optimistic, and my thoughts just drabbled away to my schoolwork and rested the thoughts based on my still slightly rose colored glasses, denying that I was just a vitriolic cynic.

Well, today, that glasses were even more smashed, even more trampled, but much more significant to the loss in my faith of humanity was the loss complete depravation of my faith in my own race, in my own supposed motherland, China.

“In response to the violence, the United Nations Security Council called an emergency meeting on Wednesday to discuss the crisis, but China blocked a Council resolution, backed by the United States and European nations, to condemn the government crackdown.” – Seth Mydans

I know, I know I haven’t done what proper methods there are to journalism, but from what I can comprehend, my China, the land from which about 90% of my heritage comes from are acting against monks, defending another dictatorial regime!

And with that paragraph, the hate fluttered and then, SOARED. I am ashamed of being Chinese, why in the name of all things wonderful would they block this resolution?

Why is the government, such a bloody (literally and not literally) religion-less and cold hearted nation?

Where were they when Chinese people living in Indonesia was massacred and purged in the anti-Communist purge of 1965 (which by the way had the death toll at a vague number of 500.000-1.000.000.

Where were they when the anti-Chinese riots of 1998 happened?

I heard, they even denied entry and denied asylum! It’s not like they are Singapore, their land could actually, I don’t know fit a lot of refugee’s! I don’t know, maybe, just maybe, they really don’t count as Chinese citizens, and even worse, maybe they don’t even care if we are Chinese and if we are dying.

What I wouldn’t pay to have a nation that respects my heritage, that respects the fact that I exist, and want to exist!

By now, I have strayed far away from the topic of Monks and Myanmar, I beg your apology, but at this present moment, I am simply GLAD that I am not 100% Chinese, despite the fact my friends have called me less than kind words of my other 10% Indonesian blood. (YES I AM STILL INDIGNANT OVER YOU RACIST INDIVIDUALS…)

Perhaps I am merely vengeful, perhaps, I’m simply odd.

But pray tell, when the nation I supposedly belong to simply alienates me, perhaps, I must say I’m glad to be Indonesian. (Yes, the Chinese were also harmed yet again in 1998, but I'm ignoring that at the present moment (I'm illogical that way))


Perhaps instead of the Great Land of China, the supposedly next Super Power of the World, I can be contented and proud with the fact that I am a citizen of Indonesia, who despite not being the best of nations, still grant me civil liberties, still give me the land, food and daily necessities that I all to often am less than thankful for.

So my most sincere (albeit unashamed) apologies if I do not share the same affinities towards China as you do. As most Chinese do?

Why should I?

Yes, I'm soar over certain recent events, yes, I'm acting completely illogical and as seen by this post, I've totally shredded every ounce of what was left of my reputation as a logical and reasonable person, I stand by my opinion of being less than loving of the government that China is now. (A particular purely scathing and ultimately EVIL communistic and (now capitalistic bastards).

You see, when my great grandfathers fled from China and into this Indonesian archipelago, they left their motherland but gained a new one, Indonesia, in which, my ancestors finally found the contentment we so desired.

So yes, when Chinese New Year rolls around, you can bet I will still say those endearing (and somewhat magical) four words, but I’ll promise to you now, those words are not a symbol of my respect or affinty with all that is Chinese, but merely my longing for those sweet red money filled envelopes.



Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At September 28, 2007 at 10:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Okay, frankly speaking the mood to write this comment had disappeared when my computer hanged and the internet got disconnected and the content of this comment disappeared into screwed-up technological oblivion. - - I wonder if swearing is allowed here. F___. Be creative.

    Anyways, the point of this comment is first and foremost, I applaud you for your vocal support of the monks; they're the real soldiers. However, you "red herring"-ed (I coined a new term (well kinda), Mrs. Judy will be proud!) into criticism of the Chinese government which then seems to stray into criticism of the race in general. Being a Chinese, I take a little offense that you seem to blame the race for what the homeland's doing. I frankly don't really associate myself with the Chinese "homelanders" (yet another! sounds cool so I wrote it. Productivity levels rising...) because the Chinese who came to Indonesia have evolved into an identity unique to Indonesia more so than China. Sure enough I agree when you say the Chinese government is incompetent, especially during '65 and '98, but you went dangerously (in love hahahaha Beyonce! -random-) into the territory of the Chinese race, and I don't think you should really associate the Chinese race of Indonesia with the Chinese homelanders, because they're two different entities. I don't approve of many of China's ideas and policies but I'm still proud I'm a Chinese, because the race braved through the hardships in this new land and became an identity of their own, separate from the homeland. That I'm proud of. So don't get mad at the race, get mad at the system, the government, and hopefully you'd be jailed for it or reprimanded (for then you surely have struck a nerve). Go Myanmar monks and go Chinese Indonesians! Prove yourself different from the Chinese homelanders.

    PS: homelanders sound so bad now... bad grammar bad English... so yeah criticize me for it because I've turned into a bad egg. :)

     
  • At September 28, 2007 at 10:29 PM, Blogger vitriolic said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At September 28, 2007 at 10:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good for you then it's nice to hear that there actually are Chinese Indonesian who are adamant about change in their heritage nation. More is needed from people like you. Then again, I probably should join in the efforts but I'm much too apathetic. For all I know, China will either shine in the spotlight over the next few years or shrivel away into an uninvited force in the world stage, such as North Korea or Myanmar. Good luck to the nation, but frankly they'll need more than luck to turn things around. In the meantime, Grey's Anatomy Season 4 is out and oh my goodness! I want to watch it so badly. Perhaps I am a hypocrite for caring about the media and all its glory than the world and all its misery, but I guess I am. Go G.A.

     
  • At September 28, 2007 at 10:35 PM, Blogger vitriolic said…

    note: if you actually read the post carefully, i actually said GOVERNMENT instead of people, your government represents its citizens and if the citizens are simply content with all that is wrong in their neighboring countries, in a usual democracy a people would have a say in it. And obviously, China not being a democracy is a major issue. Furthermore my anger comes from their inactions in solving the current crisis, and this rant mostly tries to address my annoyance.

    Granted, China has interests in Myanmar they have invested a great deal in it, but still.
    I agree with your point of differentiating Chinese Indonesians and Chinese people in general though, but again,
    ".You see, when my great grandfathers fled from China and into this Indonesian archipelago, they left their motherland but gained a new one, Indonesia, in which, my ancestors finally found the contentment we so desired."

    I noted the fact that I am Chinese Indonesian and proud to be so, yes yes, i'm still bitter about China and thus reacting to what I associate with it, the culture which is obviously not tied to the current government. However I am being a petulant child in associating the culture with the government.

    IM STILL TICKED OFF ABOUT THAT OTHER COMMENT HOWEVER *the one in the chat post thingo and the T*** word you called me.*


    p.s. SEASON FOUR IS OUT!! I WANT IT I WANT IT!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At September 28, 2007 at 10:36 PM, Blogger vitriolic said…

    ok, i like deleted the 2nd post due to heinous grammar errors and problems in the stupid format which the copy paste part went crazy.. ooppsss...

    that was one quick comment fight swe. Seriously it is.

     
  • At September 28, 2007 at 10:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm not one who indulges in comment war. I'm more of a blog-reader than a blog-writer. After all, the world of blogging is a spectator sport, and I prefer to watch than to participate. Lot less tedious that way on relationships. I guess I won't be a good writer or reporter of any sort, since I just voice my opinion rather than enforcing anything in particular. Damn the apathy.

     
  • At September 29, 2007 at 8:55 AM, Blogger Naphthalene said…

    I gotta admit, it's hard to be Chinese, especially with what we've been tagged and associated with...

    I agree with how you condemned the Chinese government, and needless to say, I'm ashamed of it, I, who am 100% Chinese and am NOI proud of being called so.

    You're not alone in your attitude against the Chinese government and China in general. In full honesty, I despise the labels we Chinese have been marked with due to the majority's actions. Ah, well, life's unfair...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home